It is a form of mental and physical ability of human non-verbal communication, consisting of body posture, gestures, facial expressions, and eye moments. Humans send and interpret such signals almost entirely subconsciously. Body language may provide clues as to the attitude or state of mind of a person. For example, it may indicate aggression, attentiveness, boredom, relaxed state, pleasure, amusement, etc.
WHAT SPEAKS THE BODY LANGUAGE
The following speak the body language:
- Posture of the Body
- Eye Contact and Eye Expressions
- Facial and Mouth Expressions
- Movements of Hands/Fingers
- Movements of Legs
- Tone of Speech
PERSONAL SPACE DISTANCES
Every person needs his or her own personal space. Proximity range varies with relation and culture. It may be:
- Intimate Distance: It is from zero to about 18 inches and is reserved for close family members, friends and also pet animals.
- Personal Distance: It is from 18 inches to 4 feet. This space is used in conversation with friends, to chat with associates, and in group discussions and meetings.
- Social Distance: It is from 4 feet to 8 feet and is reserved for strangers, newly formed groups, and new friends.
- Public Distance: It is more than 8 feet, and is used for speeches, lectures, and theater between the speaker and audience.