I'm now 30 years old (Aug 1st).
I was thinking of making a long-winded post but instead, I figured a list would be better.
Here are some random experiences and thoughts on my 20's:
- I wish I continued with college but I'm also happy I jumped into tech since I've been able to freelance for the past five years
- Relationships don't always last -- if you're too focused on them then you lose that edge that made the original attraction aka keep being you
- Family means everything especially once you're able to interact like adults so call your mom, grandma, whoever, and discuss topics that were always "off limits" as a child
- I wouldn't trade my trips abroad for anything; I want to find myself in even more places throughout my 30's
- Anxiety sucks but it's not the end of the world
- Give up drinking -- it's not worth it -- those good times pass and all you're left with is a body that's screwed up and a lack of motivation -- you see why there were problems within the family and with friends real quick once sober
- Explore and be creative, try psychedelics, and go to weekend long music festivals
- Find someone real you want to spend your life with - you'll know it when it happens
It's kind of silly condensing it all down to this but I mean what can I say? My 20's were a blur and time feels like it's speeding up. I was originally terrified of hitting 30 but now I'm pretty happy. Things are going in the right direction. I'm comfortable with my work. I've found a great person. I'm sober. I'm taking charge of my finances.
Happy birthday to me, right? Here's hoping this decade will be just as much fun.