Civil Engineering basics -- #Civil ethics
TODAY, i am going to share some of my knowledge about my core field i.e.., CIVIL engineering.
I will cover 10 topics In my blog in the starting .
So my today's topic is about civil ethics.Mainly Ethics is a system of morale principle that applies to the practice of engineering .*
Here i will talk For both the SITE and DESIGN ethics.
- Learn how to talk openly, manage various construction activities at a site. Managing is what most of the time you will do as an engineer.
- Be super Active.
- The most important thing is showcase whatever you do to your manager/boss. This is what matters at the end of the day. If you do all the work , sit quietly your increment will be snatched away by someone whi is less worthy than you.
- Forget about being fair and worrying about body complexion.
- Prepare yourself to work in harsh climatic conditions (especially talking about Indian weather).
- Be patient. Never loose your temper. Communicate well as it will help you a lot in dealing with your client which is again a tough job.
- Learn how to write an e-mail effectively and while writing choose your words properly as this will make or break the purpose of your message.
- Don't tend to panic in case of pressure. It will make things more worse.
Civil engineering ethics:
- If you know well about experiments you do in concrete technology lab it is good even if you don't , no need to worry. You will be able to learn in no amount of time once you start working. In general, engineers don't do survey, it is handled by another special team meant for surveying only. Other than these there is not much scope for experiments done in other labs, unless you are posted to do works related to Geo-technical field.
- Start working out on general arrangement and reinforcement drawings. This is only main work, which is done by an engineer at the site other than managing. You are supposed to execute what ever shown in those drawings at the site and get it approved from the site.
- Learn basic functions in excel, word and Auto CAD.
- Have basic knowledge about bar bending schedule (BBS). Preparing BBS mostly occupies most of your life time at the site in the initial phase of the work.
- Be smart, active.
- Brush up your communication skills as you need lot of them to convince many people like the internal/external checker of your design documents and drawings, client, contractor and site engineers.
- If you do any mistake or not confident with your design, please convey the same to your superiors as it can avoid unnecessary outcome which can be catastrophic sometimes.
Civil engineering ethics:
- Learn excel, word, Auto CAD and STAAD Pro. Again almost all software use for modelling have the same purpose it is just that they vary in interface except some software like PLAXIS.
- Be thorough with code books mostly concrete and steel codes. There is no guarantee that you will work in a project which uses code similar to what you learned in your graduation. Even though codes of different countries don't vary much, be versatile in getting adopted.
- Prepare how to make drawings. Even though you will have some one to prepare drawings for you. You are the one who should have a clear picture about it. No matter how much modelling, analysis, detailed design, documentation you do, at the end if the drawings don't come out properly your entire work will go into vain. Drawings speak about the entire design.