How can you extend your U.S. B-1 Visa?

in #immigration4 years ago

Are you a B1/B2 visa holder & wish to extend your non-immigrant visa? Well, the initial B1 Visa status is granted for 6 months for the admission in the United States to individuals traveling for business-related matters. However, you can apply for your B1 visa extension by submitting an application to the USCIS while you’re in the US boundaries. It is generally recommended by the USCIS to file for your visa extension at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires. 

Note: You may not apply to extend your B1 visa within the U.S. if you were admitted to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) 

Criteria for extending your b1 visa

In order to extend your stay in the United States, there are a few criteria that you must meet which include:

  • Your reason to extend your stay must meet the B-1 visa category permissible activities

  • You must have been lawfully admitted to the United States on a valid B-1/B-2 Visa

  • You must have not committed a crime or breached any condition of your admission or stay

  • You must have an intention to leave the U.S. at the end of the extended-stay period

  • You must have evidence showing how will you financially support yourself during your extended stay

  • Your passport must be valid and should remain valid during the period of your stay 

Documents Required for Visa Extension 

To extend your stay, you will have to present the following documents to the USCIS: 

  • Completed I-539 Form that must be printed, signed and dated. You can also file I-539 Online. If you are e-f`iling, make sure to understand how to submit the supporting documents.

  • A detailed written statement stating the reason for your requested extension. 

  • Evidence of financial support during your extended stay in the United States.

  • Copy of returning tickets in order to prove that your stay is temporary and you have an intention to leave the U.S. after the extended stay. 

  • Payment of B1 extension application fee 

  • Copy of I-94 Form of each applicant, while you must keep the original with yourself. 

  • An Affidavit or letter of support from a friend or relative residing in the U.S. 

  • Documents to show that you hold a property or residence abroad.

  • Letter from your employer (outside the U.S.) confirming that they are aware of your extended stay in the U.S. & that you will retain your position after the return. 

Once the USCIS receives your visa extension application, you will receive a case number, that can be used to check the progress of your case through the USCIS website. On approval of your visa extension, you will be issued an updated I-94 with a new departure date. In case of your application rejection or denial, you will be notified in writing with the detailed reason for the refusal. If your visa has already expired, you are given 30 days time to depart the U.S. If you overstay your period, you may become deportable. 

How can an immigration/B1 Visa lawyer help? 

Since getting your application approved with the USCIS is a long procedure and may take even up to months for final approval, it is better that you take a professional help. As the USCIS lays down strict requirements for visa approval, an immigration lawyer is well-versed with the laws, eligibility criteria, requirements, and paperwork.  Though the substantive documents will be the same as the initial B-1 visa requirements, however, an attorney will make sure to meet the time requirements of applying for a visa extension in order to avoid any issues with overstaying or becoming out of status. 

Coin Marketplace

STEEM 0.29
TRX 0.11
JST 0.033
BTC 63945.57
ETH 3135.76
USDT 1.00
SBD 4.00