Action at the Swarm Trap
A few months back I began setting out traps to catch bee swarms. You can read about that here.
I wasn't having much luck catching bees at this particular location, so I took down the trap, brought it home and took it apart.
I made a beeswax crayon by melting the wax and pouring it into a toilet paper tube.
I cut off about an inch of paper on one end and rubbed this onto the plastic foundations I bought from Mann Lake. I also rubbed the inside of the trap with a light coat of wax. I replaced the frames, baited with a dab of lemon grass oil and reattached the top.
I decided to give this location one more try, so about 8:30 AM I hung the trap in the same place. I went back to see if I could see any scout bees about 3:00 PM and this is what I found.
If they like what they've discovered then BAM, another feral swarm to add to my apiary!