There has been a surge of developments to the Gridcoin protocol over the past year and my oh my does it show. Superblock creation has been stabilized, and several improvements and fixes to the beacon mechanism, RPC system, and codebase in general have mitigated forking and reorganization issues.
The front end of Gridcoin has also seen significant advancements over the past 12 months. Contributions to the gridcoin.us website have increased, a greylist process has been developed and implemented, a new white paper has been written and published, and the community and ecosystem has continued to organize and grow.
As we work to build on these improvements to the Gridcoin network it is going to become increasingly important to have a written path to guide our focus and inform the community.
Below is an overview of planned, in progress, and intended short, mid, and long term developments and outreach endeavors. As we continue to organize, we can hopefully build this overview into a more detailed roadmap that helps inform the community and any potential developers and participants who wish to contribute. The roadmap will be updated as more developments emerge.
This document was a combined effort between several core developers, contributors, and participants.
- Stabilize Protocol - Completed
- Steady superblock creation
- Improved beacon mechanism
- Mitigate forking and reorganization issues
- Polling Definitions and Parameters - Under Development
- Develop clearly defined types of polls
- Develop clearly defined proposal requirements for each poll to be valid
- Develop clearly define validation parameters that make the results of a poll binding
- Constant Block Reward (CBR) - Completed, Ready for Testing, Poll Underway
- Develop an economic system that
- Incentivizes block creation
- Increases network security and stability
- Creates an intentional economic model to expand on in the future
- Develop an economic system that
- Manual Reward Claims (MRC) - Pre-development, Help Wanted
- Develop a way for crunchers to receive their earned research rewards without being required to stake
- Develop an earned research reward distribution mechanism that scales to tens of thousands of beacons
- Code Rebase - Under Development
- Upgrade the codebase with the most recent Bitcoin/Peercoin/Blackcoin/etc. developments and reintegrate GRC specific mechanisms
- NN Renamed and Ported to C++ - Under Development
- Develop a neural net that can operate on both Linux and Windows clients
- Rename the neural net to something more appropriate, at least outside of the codebase
- A New Superblock Creation Mechanism - Pre-development, Help Wanted
- Develop an efficient superblock creation mechanism that ensures we do not DoS BOINC project servers
- Develop a superblock creation mechanism that creates superblocks for individual BOINC projects
- UX/UI Improvements - Ongoing Development, Help Wanted
- Voting/polling visualization improvements
- Image updates - new images, logo, colors, etc.
- Notification improvements
- Mobile Development - Help Wanted
- Develop a simple, stable, mobile wallet for Android and iOS
- Simplify Multi-Sig - Help Wanted
- Develop a simplified UX for multi-sig wallet creation and use
- Smart Contracts
- Additional Superblocks/Abstraction Layer for Additional Computations
- (potentially) Treasury System
- Automated Greylist
- White Paper - Completed
- Produce an up to date white paper that details the general operation and intent of the Gridcoin network
- Developer Documents - Help Wanted
- Produce documents that help introduce potential developers to the Gridcoin protocol and development process
- Introduction Documents - Help Wanted
- Produce documents that help introduce potential participants to the Gridcoin protocol and contribution process
- Tutorials and Other Visual Resources - Help Wanted
- Produce documents that guide new participants through the process of getting started with Gridcoin
- Produce video and visual tutorials that detail the process of getting started with Gridcoin
- Marketing Documents and Resources - Semi-completed, Help Wanted
- Produce branding documents and resources
- Produce documents on how to use Gridcoin resources for marketing initiatives
- Directed Marketing Initiatives - Ongoing Development, Help Wanted
- Develop and fund marketing initiatives directed at hyper-specific demographics, institutions, and industries
- Blue Paper - Under Development, Help Wanted
- Produce a blue paper that details the technical specifications of the Gridcoin protocol
- Gridcoin.us v2.0 - Help Wanted
- Design and produce an updated Gridcoin website
- Major marketing initiatives
- Institutional outreach
- Partnership outreach
Let us know what you think!
If you would like to help with any of the tasks marked with "Help Wanted", either make an issue on the linked repo or reach out on Discord, Slack, or Rocketchat.