You must understand that man is a tripartite being. That is, you are primarily a spirit, you have a soul and you live in a body. When you got born again, it is your spirit-man that is saved, that life of God comes into your spirit-man. Therefore when God communicates with you as His child, it is your spirit-man that He communicates with, not your soul or body. Do not forget that God is a spirit and it is therefore important that you train your spirit man to be strong and also know how the Lord will want to lead you as a person and be able to pick His signals promptly.
My focus today is to show you how you can train your spirit man to be strong and to know the voice of the Holy Spirit. One major truth and secret of success in destiny I must not fail to tell you is that the strength of your spirit man is what will determine how far you will go in the things of God. If you do not pay attention to your spirit man and develop it, you will not go too far in destiny and the devil will stop you with ease. Very importantly, you must train your spirit man to (1.) Keep your body under (2.) Keep your soul in line with the Holy Spirit (3.) Follow the Holy Spirit.
There are different forms that human spirits can assume. Some are positive while others are negative. Let me quickly show them to you;
- Strong spirit 1. Weak spirit
- Healthy spirit 2. Broken spirit
- Trained spirit 3. Sick spirit
- Baby spirit 4. Wrong spirit
- Mature spirit 5. Wounded spirit
- Contrite spirit 6. Perverted spirit
The trained spirit combines all the attributes of other positive spirit types. A trained spirit is a spirit that has been exercised in the things of God to be able to pick signals from God. It can operate accurately in the spirit realm. In essence, you can train your spirit to pick every sign or signal from God. This body is the house of that spirit and just as you can build up your body, develop and train it, so also the spirit-man can be trained.
Now, to train your spirit-man there are three things you must do regularly;
- Feed consistently on God’s word: Read and meditate on the word and hear the word. The word of God is the food of the spirit-man. What natural food does to the body is what the word of God will do to your spirit-man. Can you imagine what happens when you don’t eat for a long time? Your body becomes weak, you can’t see clearly and you cannot even think co-ordinately. That is the same thing that happens to your spirit-man when you do not take in the word of God.
- Pray more in the spirit (Jude vs. 20): Praying in the spirit is another spiritual exercise that builds your spirit man. Pay attention to it and do it as often as possible. Don’t limit praying in the spirit to the period of your quiet time alone. You can pray in the spirit while doing some other things.
- Exercise yourself in following the prompting of the Holy Spirit: As you begin to notice or sense the prompting of the Holy Spirit and you respond to them appropriately, your ability to know that signal will be getting better by the day, but when you pick those signals and you do not respond to them, you will be shutting down that ability in you.