I call this an Italian-Style Shepard's Pie. It's a light and easy meal with a few simple ingredients. Want a vegetarian version (my favorite)? Simply substitute beefless crumbles.
- 4 oz Cheese, Ricotta, Part-Skim
- 2 tbsp Egg Substitute/Egg Beaters
- 6 oz Cheese, mozzarella, reduced fat
- 1 1/2 cup Raw Tomatoes, crushed, or canned
- 10 oz Beef, ground, 95-97% lean or beefless crumbles
- 3 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasonings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook ground beef/beefless crumbles.
- Add tomatoes, ¼ tsp. garlic salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup (3 oz) of mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, egg substitute, Italian seasoning, and remaining garlic salt and pepper in a separate bowl.
- Fill the bottom of a medium-sized baking dish with the meat mixture and top with the cheese filling.
- Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes and let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
Buon Appetito! Buen Provecho! Enjoy!