Fabulous Freelancer Foodie Recipe: Grilled Watermelon Salsa
For a unique, refreshing take on a salsa that can be placed on the meat, fish, or poultry of your choice, try this grilled watermelon salsa recipe!
Note: this recipe is adapted from one by Chef Jon Ashton, as it appeared in the June 2, 2019 issue of Parade.
• 1 ½ lb of watermelon
• 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
• ½ teaspoon of ground chili powder
• 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
• ½ cup of chopped cucumber
• 1 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon of chopped red onion
• Half of a jalapeno pepper
• 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
• Kosher salt
• Black pepper
- Cut the watermelon into slices that are about ¾ of an inch thick apiece.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and ½ teaspoon of ground chili powder together in a small bowl.
- Brush the olive oil and chili powder mixture on both sides of each watermelon slice, then sprinkle on some kosher salt.
- Grill the watermelon slices for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until grill marks noticeably form.
- Transfer the grilled watermelon slices to a cutting board, and when they’re cool, remove the seeds and the rinds, and chop the fruit itself.
- Combine 1 cup of chopped cherry tomatoes, the chopped watermelon, and ½ cup of chopped cucumber in a large bowl.
- Slowly add in 1 tablespoon of red onion, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro, 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, ½ of a chopped and seeded jalapeno pepper.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice.
- Refrigerate the entire mixture to allow the flavors time to meld.
- Season the mixture with a little salt and pepper just prior to serving.