🎆Holi Special 🎨 : Gujia (Vegan)😍
Holi is the spring festival celebrated across the Indian subcontinent, specially in India. It is a festival of color. This two days festival is celebrated by relishing delicious food and sweets and playing with colors.
Gujia is a famous sweet prepared in Indian kitchen on the occasion of Holi. It is is a sweet dumpling, traditionally made with suji or Maida flour wheat flour and stuffed with a mixture of grated and roasted dry fruits, khoya, coconuts etc and deep fried in animal fat like ghee.
Here I made its vegan version by skipping khoya and enriched with more dry fruits in stuffing and vegetable oil is used for frying.
- Wheat flour 2 cups
- Semolina 1/2 cup
- Dry fruits of your choice 1 cup
- Cardamom powder 1tsp
- Desiccated coconut powder 1/4 cup
- Saffron for garnishing (optional)
- Powdered Sugar 1/2 cup for stuffing
- Granulated sugar to make sugar syrup 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Vegan milk to add in stuffing if required 1/4 cup
- Water to make dough
- Knead wheat flour with water and 2 tbsp vegetable oil. It should not be soft. Keep it little hard.
- To make stuffing, In a pan add semolina, desiccated coconut powder, chopped dry fruits, powdered sugar, cardamom powder and some oil. Heat on low flame until mixture becomes soft, add some milk if required.
- Make small poori out of dough and make gujia with the help of gujia mould as shown below in the photograph.
- Fill poories with stuffing and seal it properly, use water to seal edges.
- Deep fry in vegetable oil.
- Make sugar syrup and coat gujia with syrup. Coating with sugar syrup is an optonal.
- Garnish with chopped dry fruits and saffron threads.