Scientific name: Citrullus lanaus.
The watermelon is an annual herbaceous plant originating in Africa belonging to the Cucurbitaceae family. This fruit is very refreshing and its sweet flavor helps to fight the heat. Many people think that it only contains water and sugar, but the reality is that watermelon has a large amount of nutrients and provides a large amount of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants.
Properties and benefits
Currently there are different types of watermelons, large and small, round and oval, and others without the stripes that characterize it, but the most important thing is that they are all highly healthy.
Contains vitamin A, C, low amount of B group, also contains minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium, among others and rich in lycopene and beta carotene.
Due to its high water content (93%), watermelon is the perfect choice for weight loss.
Prevents the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Reduces blood pressure.
Acts as an excellent diuretic.
Improve blood sugar levels.
Protects against cancer of the prostate.
Reduces the risk of eye diseases.
Moisturizes the skin.
Contains depurative effects.
Its seeds are rich in fiber, which favors intestinal transit.
Reduce cholesterol levels.
How can we consume the watermelon seed:
1. We can consume it in smoothies, in pieces, ice cream, etc.
2. Infusion of watermelon seeds
- Select 20 watermelon seeds.
- 1 liters of water.
- Grind the seeds with a mortar or crusher.
- Then, boil the liters of water.
- Consume this drink for two days, if we take it after two days we can present intoxications.
3. Dry seeds
- Select a fist of seeds.
- Let soak for one hour with salt water.
- Then dry well and bake with a little olive oil for 45 minutes.
- Then they are stung and eaten like nuts. It is recommended to consume only a small handful of these seeds a day. Watermelon seeds consumed in excess can cause digestive and stomach problems.
Watermelon is a tropical fruit, grows at a temperature between 23 º C and 28 º C, supports low temperatures but should never exceed 11 º C as it stops growing. The best time for planting is in cold seasons, for example in spring.
The soil must have good drainage and rich in organic matter.
At the time of sowing, rows of 2 m will be made. From distance and with a separation of 1.5 m. between plants. In the case of sowing in masetas, this must have enough space so that its roots can grow.
You should make holes 3 cm deep and place a seed in each hole.
Its watering must be constant, the soil must always be moist, especially at the stage of development, so that the plant grows in the right way.
Eliminate weeds during the entire process of silver growth.
Its cultivation cycle lasts from 95 to 155 days.
The harvest should be collected when the watermelons are ripe. There are several ways to know when they are mature, the most that are implemented are:
- When they sound hollow when you hit them with your fingers.
- The skin is scratched with the nails, if it separates immediately it is time to harvest it.
Plagues and diseases
The big enemies of watermelon cultivation are:
- Red spider: Grows on the leaves and produces discolorations and yellowish spots.
- White fly: It is a fly that weakens the plant when it bites and absorbs its juices.
- Aphid: It is a pest that disperses mainly in spring and autumn.
- Vascular diseases: There are two types, they produce the yellowing of the leaves and the wilting of the plants.