Watch Varoa mite treatment with MiteGone Pads video on DTube
Varoa mite treatment with MiteGone Pads
Hi Steembeeks. Thanks for joining us.
Now is the time to treat for mites if you have determined a need. Never treat what dose not need treatment. This leads to a wast of money, resources and resistance to the chosen treatment. Especially true with pharmaceutical's.
Fallow the directions of your chosen treatment. For good results this is essential both for a good treatment and reducing contamination of your comb and bees.
Formic acid is our choice for mite treatment.
- It is a naturally occurring chemical in the hive.
- Kills both of the mites that infest hives tracheal and varoa.
- Stimulates hygienic behaviour.
- Considered organic by all certification organizations.
- It Works
- It's easy one trip to the hive with MiteGone. Blast systems several. No special gadgets. Just a respirator and rubber gloves. These are important formic vapours will damage your lungs. If you have a breeze in the yard you can learn to avoid the vapours. Best to use the respirator. Be sure to have water on hand but with prefilled pad the need is minimal.
- Repels hive beetles. see mitegone.com for details.
Some points on settup.
- Use solid bottom boards. screened bottom boards let all the acid leak out. No pool of acid vapours on the bottom board means the mites will not be killed and all your work wasted.
- There should be no holes in the hive to let acid vapour escape except for the reduced entrance on the bottom board.
- Use carpet for inner covers. This gives you the best seal. If you don't have them be sure the wood edges are clean for the best seal you can get.Use a sheet of plastic to help keep the vapour's in.