Veck's First Cigar Box(top) Guitar

in diy •  5 months ago

covercomplete.jpg

'Ey there, folks. I wanted to share a project I just completed. A while back, my cousin, Troy, gave me a few of these Acid Cigar boxes he snagged when he was working as a regional manager for Smoker Friendly. He thought maybe I would want to try and make a cigar box guitar out of them sometime.

I immediately noticed that the boxes, while made of mahogany--a great wood for both acoustic and electric guitars--the wood was quite a bit thicker than what you would usually use for a typical cigar box guitar. So, instead of making a run-of-the-mill acoustic cigar box guitar, I decided to just use the top of the box and make a solid body electric guitar.

Although the end product is kind of rough, this project was actually a long time in the making. At the time I started it, I had next to none of the tools necessary to really be successful at this sort of thing. Also, with my frequent health problems and limited income, it took a while to get what I needed and I ended up redoing multiple parts of the project as I would acquire more appropriate tools or materials or simply better ideas. The way things are presented in this article is not necessarily the chronological order the project actually happened in.

I was determined to wind the pickup with myself. I had wound some coils before back when I worked for the UM physics dept. But that was with access to their machine shop; a luxury I no longer had. So my first task was to come up with an affordable way to wind the pickup. I eventually came across a very inexpensive NZ-1 style hand driven coil winder w/counter on amazon link:

The documentation for the winder mentioned that it could be motor driven, but did not mention specifics. After doing a google search, I found other users who mentioned that it could be used with an old belt-driven sewing machine motor. These types of replacement motors are all over eBay for pretty cheap. So I picked one up, mounted the winder and the motor to a chunk of 2x4 and came up with this:


winder.jpg
My homemade pickup winder


I ordered some pole pieces and flatwork from https://www.Mojotone.com. I made three pickups total before I had one I was happy with for my guitar. The pickup I ended up using actually used pieces of a cut-up paint-stir stick as the flatwork. I ended up doing 10,000 turns of 42 gauge wire around Alnico 5 pole pieces. I potted the pickup in paraffin and I wired it to a 500k pot that came out of my Carvin to use as a volume control.


pickup back.jpg
a little note on the back of my pickup so I remember what the hell I did


pickupwiring.jpg
The foil tape on the back and the coiled black wire are to ground the pickup pole-pieces and shield the signal wire. Both are done to prevent electromagnetic interference (noise).


Obviously, you can't have a guitar with just a pickup, so I had to whip up a couple of other things as well. The neck was made from a 1x2 piece of poplar that I bought at the hardware store. Given that the box-top was so thick, I chopped an end of the board and glued it to the back in the place where the notch would be cut out for the top. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the whole thing snapping when it was tuned up.

I decided to go fretless with a high action--strictly for slide--and a baritone, 30-inch scale. I started the neck by shaving it into a rough u-shape. I then chiseled out portions for the headstock and the top recess and sanded a whole lot to try and make it look halfway decent. Once it was done, the fret-lines were measured out. I decided to stain the frets that would typically be marked on a guitar a darker color and paint fret-lines. I had a little trouble with the stain running. I found a couple of videos online of people who used gel stain for more detailed staining, and if I were to repeat the process, I would try that instead.

Once it was stained. I put on a few coats of a semi-gloss polyurethane, installed the nut and tuners, and it was ready to go!


neck.jpg
The finished neck.


The top was pretty easy to pull off. I simply cut a notch for the pickup, a hole for the electronics, and added a bridge. I came up with the idea of using a finishing nail for the bridge. I glued it to a small piece of mahogany cut from another box-top that I had slaughtered in an earlier attempt. I then, not-so-carefully, cut a rectangle out of the label on the box-top and glued the bridge to the exposed wood.


bridge.jpg
The bridge.

Afterward, I just had to put the whole dang thing together. I used another piece of paint-stir stick to make a plate to mount the electronics and screwed top to the neck.


body assembled.jpg


total.jpg


I still need to pick up some strings for it. I also may need to buy a new slide. I can't seem to find mine since moving this summer. Anyway, I can't wait to hear how it sounds! I'll try and remember to update everyone when I get it strung up and let you guys hear how it turned out as well. In the meantime, thanks for looking!

Best wishes,
@veckinon

Authors get paid when people like you upvote their post.
If you enjoyed what you read here, create your account today and start earning FREE STEEM!
Sort Order:  

Congratulations @veckinon! You have completed the following achievement on the Steem blockchain and have been rewarded with new badge(s) :

You made more than 28000 upvotes. Your next target is to reach 29000 upvotes.

Click here to view your Board of Honor
If you no longer want to receive notifications, reply to this comment with the word STOP

To support your work, I also upvoted your post!

Do not miss the last post from @steemitboard:

Saint Nicholas challenge for good boys and girls

Support SteemitBoard's project! Vote for its witness and get one more award!