You are viewing a single comment's thread from:

RE: Another Day, Another Post - How I'm Handling The Current Price

in #discussion6 years ago (edited)

It takes for ever for minnows and redfish to grow. They / we need the support of dolphins / whales ect. We can form a bunch of groups and our votes combined would still be worth next to nill.

I look at the low price as an opportunity to get in at a decent price. Others who bought in at higher prices now have a chance to lower the average price they paid.

I haven't invested yet but I am keeping a close eye on that price. My goal was to grow organically, which I think is important to prove can be done for the success of this platform. That plan may change if the price keeps dropping.

Sort:  

It does take forever! It has taken me nearly 2 years and a little of my own investment. For those who don't want to put in money, they will have to put in time.

We have:
37 Whales
260 Orcas
1686 Dolphins
8243 Minnows
129,615 Redfish

If we are going to grow the minnows are going to have to accept, it can be done, but it is going to take a lot of time. :)

Glad you are here, and figuring out how to grow your account

Time is not enough either ( unless you can live to be 500 ) and neither is good content. Its the lack of support for plankon / redfish / minnows that is one of the main reasons for the extremely bad user retention.

I am not speaking about accounts that have just signed up but ones that have been here for 2/3 + months showing they are willing to stick around but get little action from users on their blogs. Lots get frustrated and leave after a period of time when all it likely would of took to keep them around is an upvote or two from a whale / dolphin to keep them motivated and in return when they grow they likely do the same for the new plankton / redfish that arrive. That is how we start improving user retention. All the steem on Steemit isn't going to be any good to anyone if all the minnows and redfish decide to leave the platform.

If accounts can't grow organically here then its highly likely Steemit won't succeed.

That's exactly what I said to someone the other night and got raked over for it. I told them I might make being a whale if I found somehow to post from my grave someday. Maybe if I was like twenty I might make it by the time I was fifty. They will argue with you until you are red in the face that the increase in competition for attention has absolutely nothing to do with it and that posting quality content continuously will get you there yet I see people who've been on here for over a year still making less than two dollars a post. Now look....they are all here telling each other to drop anchor and close the gates. How pathetic. They are all going into swarm mode, look at 'em....
2d3kop.jpg

All dressed up in incognito so you can't distinguish which one's going to be more ruthless, you gonna get eatin' by a whale, orca or dolphin?.....my bets the one on the left. (it's always the lefties) Yeah I thought something was up the last few days seeing all these big hitters on each others blogs. Frickin millionaire people crying over taking a pay cut yet when the minnows cry out they tell them to write more quality content....it wasn't doing them much good to begin with and it surely isn't going to do them any good with the upper tier having a attitude like this.

Some of those with SP don`t realize the reason why they are getting comments and upvotes on their blog is because they have SP.

I would like the ones that say, make quality content, to go and start a new account and with no aid try to grow that account.

You should go read this article, it's lengthy but you will see why it's in a whales best interest not to upvote, the creation of a rewards pool actually diminishes their stake. It also explains why it's in the best interest of the platform that so few keep a hold on their stake.

https://steemit.com/steem/@spectrumecons/steem-explained-by-an-economist

That was lengthy. Admittedly I only skimmed it as it detailed allot of stuff I already knew. Awesome post for anyone to read. While from a certain point of view its not in the best interest for whales to upvote if they never upvote the site will become a ghost town and all the SP in it will be worthless to them.

The question is how many of their own sock puppets are they up voting? They can write under a lot of different names, several have multiple accounts. They cherry pick and promote very few people, I am assuming those are the ones who made it between minnow and whale and why there's so few of them. It also explains why a newbies vote is worthless, built in self protectionism. Seems to be that if you aren't talented enough of a writer the only way for someone like that to get anywhere is to buy in, use bots, create their own army of sock puppets to vote them, invest in delegation. Otherwise you'll be long dead before anything significant pans out here.

It does seem like that. I even question the write good enough approach.

I made 95 posts that didn't earn enough to be rewarded. There are a limited number of accounts with both stake and time to curate.

Some will see the opportunity and others will not.

Everyone likely made their fair share of post that didn't earn enough to be rewarded. We all made plenty of comments that are in the same category as well.

The problem is the ones that don't see the opportunity are going to far outweigh the ones that do. Which could mean there is no opportunity because this place needs users to be successful.

Being able to make money on Steemit is what its attraction is. If the average Joe / Jane can't do that then this place won't succeed and will end up being just a niche site. Millions of users aren't going to stop using Facebook to come to a site where they watch the same posters raking in all the rewards while they get a handfull of upvotes and 2 cents.

The price will not always be this low. Many will get discouraged and some will not.

I've never been of the opinion we will compete with Facebook. I know others are. Many of us are trying to help where we can, but people are going to have to reset their expectations and it isn't my goal to retain a lot of people can't either create amazing content or invest. Those users come later with the additional front ends. Just one way to look at it. We aren't ready quite yet for needy minnows. Right now we need people who can deal with the early stage of the site and figure out how to make it work.

It will not be that way forever and this is just my opinion, for right now those are not the target people to retain... In my view. :) No sight that has to pay their users to stay will be successful either.

Coin Marketplace

STEEM 0.28
TRX 0.12
JST 0.033
BTC 69774.83
ETH 3620.03
USDT 1.00
SBD 3.72