You are viewing a single comment's thread from:

RE: Does Art Really Need Ideal Conditions? - Discussion

in #discussion7 years ago (edited)

That is an excellent expression of thoughts, Aymen. I agree with almost everything you've said. I tried to be specific about Theatrical/Performing Arts in my discussion above. And how the conditions here have affected it. For example, you can not play Manto in Manto Park just because the law and order situation doesn't allow you to do so. You can just not do a flash mob in a mall and run away, cuz you're run only to get to the police van and end up in lockups. This has to improve and this is what we're missing.

Sluggish, to some extent lethargic and greedy attitude of the Theater Production houses is also a factor to this situation. We have to realize that monetizing arts is not bad, but problem is the greed we attach to almost everything these days. Earning money is set as a condition to everything. We do not try hard to make things possible just because it is not 'worth' it. At least that's how I look at it. What do you think is the reason these big theater groups like Sharabeel, Ajoka, Nautanki etc. are not trying to make their way to the Street Theater? Just imagine, street theaters on the streets of Lahore, in the Parks :)

And yes, we never cease to feel. That was great.

And thanks for reading through. I'm glad to see your comment.

Sort:  

Definitely. I took a more holistic approach on the whole thing. Being a strong theater person (in the recent past), I do agree with what you said about the lack of initiative from production houses. But even more so from the common man in Pakistan. The awareness and acceptance of performing art is not yet as strong as one may have hoped in Pakistan - given the conservative undertones, but it's not wishful to think that we're moving towards a more liberal and accepting status quo in the future when it comes to art and expression.

You're right. That's exactly what Sania Saeed said in the talk when a guy asked her why those plays were limited to the bigger cities. She said it was more of their responsibility than the actors. The locals should start from college/streets to develop some audience. That's when the actors jump in to attract more people. Well, she has an opinion and I respect it.

Great to know about your interest in theater. Last play?

Coin Marketplace

STEEM 0.18
TRX 0.15
JST 0.029
BTC 62639.70
ETH 2439.41
USDT 1.00
SBD 2.64