How to clean Diamond Jewelry at home and bring back its glitter?
Diamond is a gemstone that glitters due to its high refractive index (2.417). Many of you may have an Engagement or Wedding ring set with Diamond that is worn daily and rarely taken off. Daily usage and contact with dirt, hand lotions, hair styling products etc can make diamond jewelry look dull and lifeless. If you find that your Diamonds are not sparkling and shiny as it could be, it needs cleaning.
The best choice for cleaning your precious diamond jewelry is by taking it to a jewelers shop to get it cleaned as they have a special equipment known as Ultrasonic Cleaner for this purpose. Rough and regular usage of jewelry can accumulate dirt and grime that may not be easy to remove with normal cleaning. Ultrasonic Cleaners send high frequency sound waves through a detergent solution to remove encrusted dirt on diamonds. However, this can be quite expensive.
Diamond Jewelry can be cleaned at home too. One of the gentle ways to clean diamond ring is by keeping the ring dipped in a warm solution of mild liquid detergent and water and clean it with a soft brush in the morning. Once cleaned rinse thoroughly and then wipe with a soft cloth. However, if the dirt is too stubborn or if there are other stones along with diamond it is best to get it cleaned by a jeweler.
How to clean Diamond jewelry at home? Here are some home remedies or tips for cleaning Diamond Jewellery for giving it an extra sparkle.
- Soak the Diamonds in half a liter of cold water with 3 teaspoons of baking soda and stand it for 4 hours. After that wipe with a lint free cloth.
- Soak a piece of cotton in methylated spirit and clean the diamond with it.
- Brush the diamond jewelry using a non abrasive tooth paste and then clean it with water.
- Rub piece of chalk on the diamonds and clean it with a soft, dry cloth.
- Keep the diamonds soaked in 4 teaspoons of gin for around half an hour and then rub it dry with soft chamois leather.
- Use a mixture of equal amounts of detergent powder and soda bicarb. Use a soft bristles brush to clean the Diamond jewelry. After that wipe it dry and polish it with a lint free cloth.
Apart from this, for home cleaning of Diamond Jewelry, you may buy jewelry cleaning kit from the jewelry store. However, check the instructions to make sure that the solution is safe for diamond. Do not use Chlorine or abrasives when cleaning diamond jewelry as these may erode some of the metals often used in diamond settings loosening the setting of the stone.