Riding the coast you might assume we were past the big hills, such as the Grayback, we rode into California across, or the Bald Hill, coming out of the Klamath valley. But the coast had its own challenges: The road would fall steeply, winding over many turns into a hairpin curve, out of which it would climb just as steeply hopefully into an outlook with some breathtaking view... not that you had any breath left anyway, after that climb. So coasting was the last thing we do, instead try to gain some precious momentum.
For a while this constant up-and-down was fun, but after miles after miles... they added up. And we got righteously tired. But it was worth it. The scenery, the occasional crazy building, the sunshine, and the comeradery of the road superceded the exhaustion, the increasing traffic, and the occaional precariousness of the road itself. Here is a visual taste of the California Coastal Highway One.
If you'd like to read my bike trip in its entirety, check out the rest of my posts in the Cascadia to Aztlan series:
- Origin and Destination
- Rolling Down to Victoria
- Starting out on the Olympic Peninsula
- Into the Hoh Rainforest
- Who'll Stop the Rain?
- Crossing Bridges When We Get There
- Lewis and Clark, the Goonies, and the Grateful Dead
- The Fun Way to Get to Portland
- Recooping in Portland
- Through the Willamette Valley
- Fewer Degrees of Separation in Eugene
- Hills and Mountains of Southern Oregon
- The High Way to California
- The Obligatory Naked German
- Finding Us In Orleans
- Good Fire Ahead
- Two Weeks on The Rivers
- A Night in Afrofornia
- Groving With the Giants
- A Halloween Encounter
- Coasting on the One
- Saying Good-bye to Horizon
- Back to the Urban World
- The Golden Gate to Santa Cruz
- Riding Solo Monterey to Big Sur
- Taking My Time Getting to L.A.
- The Last Leg Into L.A.
- Thanksgiving From Scratch
- On to New Adventures
- Living In and Among Boulders
- Desert Days
- In the City of Angels
- Looking Back at an Amazing Ride
Please check out these great communities I'm contributing to: