Introducing the Discord XBY Tipbot
Post written by XTRABYTES Team Member nrocy
The motivations behind creating the tipbot were to:
- Make the discord more exciting for the community
- Incentivize people to do good and help out since they might get a few XBY as a tip
- Promote use of XBY as a micro-currency for communities
- Potentially extensible for use on the Testnet to help send XBY around to testers without having to share addresses
This seems to work well for other communities so we figured let’s give it a shot.
What we did
The current XTRABYTES wallet/network is very similar to that of bitcoin so we were able to modify a dogecoin tipbot for use with XBY fairly easily. This gave us both a stable codebase to work from, and helped shortcut the development work.
How it works
- The bot is linked to an instance of the community wallet
- Any tips sent to you will automatically create an account on the wallet linked to your unique discord user id (you don’t have to do anything to start receiving tips)
- Deposits and withdrawals are all handled 100% by the wallet
People can tip one another in the channel using
/tipbot tip @user <amount>
You can private message with the bot to:
- Request your current balance
- Withdraw your balance to your XBY wallet
- Request an address to ‘load up’ XBY that you can use to tip others.
- Because tips are intra-wallet transfers, there is no 1 XBY network fee, you just pay that fee when you withdraw.
We’ve been testing the tipbot internally to iron out the kinks over the past week or so
We’ll be starting a new channel to beta test with our Discord community.
The bot will be hooked up to a testnet wallet and we’ll ask people to try to break it so we can ensure it’s ready for use with the XTRABYTES network.