Investing in crypto is becoming a safer bet each year as Bitcoin and altcoins get older, improved and better established. We are still in the very early days of crypto and the opportunity to strike it rich is still within reach of most people provided they have access to the internet, modern banking and a little disposable income. However, which coins should you invest in and how much?
There’s so many of them, so much information, high tech jargon and amazing promises that sound more like lies uttered by politicians rather than nerdy developers. Indeed, it could all come crashing down but it’s very unlikely at this point that all coins crash to zero. Some of them will very likely make it big in the future but which one(s)?
The reality is, no one knows and whoever tells you they do, they are flat out lying. This market looks very much like the early car industry in the U.S. in which thousands of brands appeared everywhere but most eventually went bankrupt and only a few succeeded in the long run.
So, how do I know which coins will succeed?
The simple answer is you DON’T. Trying to pick winners is very dangerous game that most people lose, those who don’t are demonstrably just plain lucky and end up losing everything the next time they bet. The strategy that I’m introducing to you guarantees the winners come to you, rather than you pick them up.
How much money should I put in each?
This is a huge conundrum for most investors. With so many coins available and limited disposable income to invest it’s hard to distribute the funds in a sensible way.
Introducing the Millionth of Supply Passive Indexing strategy:
The following spreadsheet feeds from Coinmarketcap’s API and lists (or indexes) the top coins by market cap and daily trading volume. The coins at the top give you a pretty good idea of the current coins being favored by the market as of the day of publication of this post.
Download spreadsheet image showing USD value of millionth of supply and percentages to invest to own the top coins by market cap as of 8/6/2017. Contact me for access to a real time spreadsheet or follow me for updates.
Your goal with this strategy is to own a millionth of the supply of each of the top coins by market cap. This way you guarantee that if any of them succeeds in the future you will be part of the elite, the top 0.1 percenters and millionaires of the future. If any of the coins (or some of them) succeed(s) and become(s) a widely used reserve currency you will be guaranteed to own a millionth of its supply.
In columns T and U of the spreadsheet I share with you the percentage of funds you should invest based on market cap and the USD value of the millionth of supply of the coin. This is calculated by dividing the USD value of the millionth of supply by the total amount you should invest to own the top 10 or 20 coins.
It doesn’t matter if you invest $100 dollars every month or $100,000 at once, your goal should be to own the millionth of the supply of the top coins as soon as possible without spending any income that's not disposable to you. At the bottom of the column is the total amount in USD you should invest to do this for the top 10 and 20 coins.
How rich will you be if you follow this strategy?
There are currently an estimated 10.5 trillion dollars in existence. If you owned a millionth of the supply of US dollars right now you would own about ten million five hundred thousand dollars. Just to give you an idea, in the United States alone, at end of 2016, there were 10.8 million millionaires, according to a study from Spectrem Group's Market Insights Report 2017.
There are approximately 18 million millionaires in the world according to the 6th annual Credit Suisse Global Wealth Index. This doesn’t even account for the disruption of other industries such as remittances, Gold as a store of value and many other new uses of crypto currencies that we can’t even dream of today. As an example, if Bitcoin overtook just 5% of the market cap of Gold, a single bitcoin would be worth approximately $24,000 USD.
But, “introduce any crazy coin name here” is so great, the technology is amazing, so exciting. It’s the future, my guts tells me!
Yeah right, the market doesn’t care about your hunches, white paper promises, or all those great technologies that people sell as the best thing since Coca Cola. Nope, only market cap, volume and related network effect can tell you what coin will end up being favored by the market.
You must re-balance every once in a while
About every 3-6 months you should take a look at this index and re-balance it. Follow me for updates to this post. If any coins dropped in market cap sell them and re-invest the money on the top coins until you own the millionth of their supply. If there are new coins in the list you should invest in them until you reach the goal as well, no more (over invest), no less (under invest). If you don’t do this you are risking missing the upcoming coins and keep investing in the long term losers.
Advantages of this strategy:
- You will be almost 99% guaranteed to become a multimillionaire by owning the top coins the market finally ends up favoring. You will certainly sleep like a baby!
- You can start investing with very limited funds and continue investing periodically. Even if you don't get to own the millionth supply of every top coin you'll be certain you did as best as you could with your limited resources.
- You won't over or under-invest in any particular coin and thus keep risks at a minimum.
- You’ll skip all the typical drama of investing in cryto. The Fear of Missing Out (FOMO), the Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD), the daily crashes, the pumps and dumps etc. will not rattle your nerves and send shivers down your spine every time they happen.
- This is a boring, long term, no feelings involved, passive strategy, you will not have the adrenaline rushes and enjoy or suffer all the crypto drama. Picking winners is reduced to a simple to follow probabilities game.
- There may be coins that gain 1000 percent in a few weeks that won’t show up in the index until their market cap grows to the top and which you will miss but, on the bright side, you’ll also miss the big losers, the suicide inducing and family wrecking crashes.
- There’s still the slight possibility (the 1% chance) that the entire crypto world is a huge bubble that will never work, the Internet could come crashing down after an EMP attack or a meteorite could strike earth... In which case we are all screwed anyways and should worry more about food and bullets to fight the zombies...
Tell me what you think of this strategy in the comments below. This is not professional investment advise. I'm not your financial advisor. Only invest money you can afford to lose!
Contact me for updates to the spreadsheet and for instructions on how to own it and update it yourself.
Happy crypto investing!