How I found inner peace
Interesting how many skills come down to high self-confidence.
It took me a long time to not feel uncomfortable in public areas, unknown situations or with talking to new people. But after I understood that nobody really cares as much about my behavior as I do, which in turn means that I don't have to care about what other people think of me, I got a big load of my mind.
Just imagine instead of thinking about all the people around you - all the groups, friends, political factions, coworkers - you think about yourself and how you can become a decent human being.
I can just act naturally, not worrying about others. I still try not to be an idiot, but I do it for myself, not because I worry what others think.
On this comes that it is easier to find your purpose and values. Because you don't think about what others value, you build your own rules. You may copy them, but you don't change them to those of whomever you happen to be around with at the moment. So you find out more about yourself and your place in life. It makes it naturally to be you wherever you are:
- You know what you are talking about in public speaking
- You are honest to yourself
- You know where your passion comes from that fuels your confidence
- You don't have to burst out your opinion to show off your values, because you know others think of themselves more than about you anyways.
- You know what you want to do in life, so you can focus on whats effective.
- You accept failbacks because they aren't personal.
- You don't dream about a better you or have nostalgia about better times, because you recognize that the present is yours to build the future.
- Since you know where you stand and where you want to go you are consistent.
- Well...maybe not feeling a victim decreases the amount of nightmares, so you get beter sleep.
- Since you know how you have a unique standpoint and mission, you can appreciate others having the same. You can understand their set of values and their thinking without having to give up yours.
Really a great epiphany and source of inner peace!