Legalization Bill C-45 = Harper's Bill S-10
Canada finally announced legalization today. It's legislation called Bill C-45 The Cannabis Act, but I'm not excited because...
I had the same (or even more) rights before legalisation!
It was already our charter right (when exercised) to use cannabis; however, as a medical user,
- I could already possess an ounce of cannabis.
- I could vapourise it indoors or smoke it on my balcony or on the street.
- I could grow my own cannabis, or have someone else grow it for me.
- I could make any form of cannabis for my medical needs (see R.V. Smith 2015)
- As a resident of Vancouver, I could also purchase cannabis edibles and oils from dispensaries and Farmers Markets.
Canada was proposing decriminalization in the early '00shttp://www.res.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/prb0433-e.htm
That would have been the closest thing to ending prohibition other than a decree or order to remove cannabis from the controlled drugs and substances act. We should know and demand this!