The Bellbank Covered Bridge was made in 1850 over the Octoraro Creek by Robert Russell (who also reassembly the Pine Grove Covered Bridge in 1846). It was named after Revolutionary War Colonel James Patterson Bell, who had his abode, gristmill, and sawmill set in the 1,200-acre (4.9 km2) plot of land where the bridge was fabricated. In June 1860 the bridge caught on fire after being smitten by fulgur. Russell received a reduce to reconstruction the span at a cost of $1,739.
Sometime in the 1960s the bridge was catalogue to be destroyed, but was equivalent rehabilitated. After it was destroyed by fire on March 19, 1979, the overbridge, which was previously owned by Chester County, was finally repay by an open steel-ray bridge after a failed imploration to PennDOT by the frequency to reassembly it as a covered span. The fire was ruled as arson when a slander wind can was found in the navel of the burnt-out bridge. As of 2006, there is a operation to refund the stream bridge with a repetition o