In the current environment, cryptocurrencies are highly volatile and unsuitable for use as a medium of payment. As a result, a coin that keeps itself stable, making it ideal for use as a day-to-day payment medium is very important for the future of digital currencies. With this coin, it would no longer be necessary to calculate dollar equivalent before conducting a transaction, rather, the cryptocurrency itself shall be considered a standard and stable unit of valuation.
The Alchemint project wants to develop a stable coin that has the properties described above. Named SDUSD, Alchemint’s coin will be collateralized by several crypto assets, and it will use smart contracts to facilitate the distributed creation of SDUSD in order to keep the coin stable. For a start, the coin is expected to be collateralized only with NEO but in the future, more assets, including gold, real estate, as well as other digital currencies or tokenized real world assets will be included as collaterals. SDUSD is expected to have a 1:1 ratio to USD.
Here is an example of how the SDUSD is supposed to work:
- A user sends 20 NEO to a smart contract with the value of NEO pegged at $100 per token.
- Then, the smart contract evaluates the mortgage rate, say 200% and sends the proper amount of SDUSD back to the user (in this case, $1000).
- If the user wants to withdraw the 20 NEO he deposited initially, he has to pay back the 1000 SDUSD and a small commission.
- If the price of NEO increases, the market value of a user’s collateral will also increase, along with the user’s mortgage rate.
- However, if the price of NEO falls below a certain point, users have to invest more NEO tokens to make up for the loss. If they choose not to, Alchemint has the option of liquidating the collateral, and the user will have to pay additional fees.
In addition to SDUSD, the Alchemint project will also have a utility token, SDT. SDT will be used to pay commission fees, as well as pay for other activities that Alchemint has not yet decided/communicated to the public.
No prototype or working product yet.
Hard Cap and Valuation
There will be a total of 1 billion SDT tokens and Alchemint aims to sell 20% of the token total during the crowdsale, 15% tokens will be sold to the private investors and 10% for the cornerstone investors. The remaining 55% will be shared thus: 30% will go to the project’s community development fund, the founding team gets 10%, 10% will be used for commercial promotion and the final 5% will be used as consultant fees.
Participants in SDT presale received bonuses of up to 30% on a release schedule of 33% thrice in 6 months.
Hard cap and further details are to be released in due time.
Presale is going at the moment and crowdsale is scheduled for late April.
June 2018 Launch on testnet.
September 2018 Launch on mainnet.
November 2018 Alchemint V1.0 officially launched.
April 2019 Alchemint V2.0 officially launched.
As of the time this post was published, Alchemint had over 2,600 members in their English Telegram channel, 2,000+ members in their Chinese Telegram channel, over 1,900 followers on Twitter, 200+ followers on Weibo, 194 Reddit readers, 81 subscribers on YouTube, and 42 followers on Linkedin.
- Management of the NEO blockchain
- Former COO of Tron.
- Investor and Partner at Juxiu Capital.
Team Members’ Areas of Expertise
Only few of the team members have well-detailed online profiles, as a result, the information provided below was extracted from the project’s whitepaper.
Zhang Ting, CEO.
- Extensive experience in the securities, media and Internet finance industries.
- Worked as a CEO at a community finance platform for over a year.
- Worked as COO in P2P Wealth for almost 3 years.
Zhang Wei, Product Director.
- Master’s degree in Finance & Economics.
- Product Manager & Investment advisor at a large-scale bank in China for about 8 years.
- Worked in the management and operation of ultra-high net customer products.
Target market experts
Since a stablecoin is an economic product, experience in economics and the finance can be regarded as the required target market experience and several members of the Alchemint team are experienced in these areas.
No team members with marketing expertise.
The project is working with Sun Ming, a legal advisor with a specialty in digital currencies and blockchain technology.
Software engineering experts
Qi Feng, CTO.
- Over 10 years of experience in IT construction and management in the financial industry.
- General Manager at Sinosoft E-Commerce.
- CTO of Harmonia Capital.
- Senior Consultant to the Financial Division at Neusoft Group.
Steel Chen, Core Development Engineer.
- Senior Engineer and Financial Technology Specialist at IBM for 8 years.
Lei Geng, Core Development Engineer.
- Full Stack Engineer.
- Senior Engineer for smart contract development.
Joe Wu, Core Development Engineer.
- Over 8 years’ experience in mobile applications and network instant messaging systems.
Blockchain development experts
No team member with blockchain development expertise.
Token economics experts
As mentioned above, several team members are knowledgeable in finance and economics. While this doesn’t translate to expertise in token economics, it will surely help to an extent.
Token sale structure experts
Same as above.
- There is a need for a stable currency that can be used as a secure medium of payment.
- Outstanding advisors and investors.
- Team is well-established in the finance and economics sector.
Potential risks for investors
- There are a number of stablecoin projects presently (DAI, Basecoin, Tether, TUSD, Kowala and so on.)
- Their price stability model appears to be similar to what MakerDAO employed while developing DAI. Development of DAI took 2+ years, MakerDAO being very well funded company.
- Pretty early development stage, no prototype or working product yet.
- The success of the project depends on the performance of NEO (at least, in its formative year(s)).
- No marketing team.
- Nothing written in this article is a legal or an investment advice.
- Information is provided on a best-effort basis and is subject to change without prior notice. Be sure to verify everything you read with a project team.
We are constantly working on improving our work and welcome all constructive feedback. Let us know what you think.
Follow us and subscribe to receive regular reports!