Banks solid ground is accepted for its beautiful scenery and breath taking views. however amongst the huge beauty found within the space, there lives a good array of life. Akaroa’s birds square measure simply some of the many creatures you’ll notice, however if you’re around within the hotter months, keep an eye fixed out and there’s a decent probability you’ll spot quite an few of them:
1. very little Blue Penguin: The blue sphenisciform seabird is that the smallest sphenisciform seabird within the world, standing at solely 25cm tall and consideration in at below a kg.
2. Yellow-eyed Penguin: Another rare New island sphenisciform seabird, the Māori name for this bird is ‘hoiho,’ which suggests ‘noise communicator.
3. Black Shag: The Black Shag will typically be seen feeding on fish within the harbour. This accustomed cause a stir amongst fishing enthusiasts UN agency thought they were uptake game fish. However, the Black Shag doesn't have a major impact on the fishing population, despite still being persecuted by some.
4. Mollymawk: a part of the Albatross family and solely found within the southern hempisphere these giant birds square measure terribly vocal and may typically be seen swooping around at the heads of Akaroa bay.
5. noticed Shag: Ledges of cliffs, overhanging the water of the ocean below, square measure in style breeding and nesting areas for noticed Shags. This makes Banks solid ground a perfect space to identify one.
6.White-faced Heron: The White-faced Heron is originally associate degree Australian species, however introduced itself here within the Forties and as a result's classified as a native bird of latest island.
7. Pukeko: far-famed for running call at front of oncoming vehicles, though the Pukeko might seem to possess gentle unsafe tendencies, they're typically seen there as a result of the surround is good for searching and gathering food.
8. archipelago Bittern: keep and uncommunicative birds throughout the day, the archipelago heron typically start up in the dark to mate and explore for food.
9.New island Falcon: Fearless, the New island Falcon encompasses a name for swooping down, finding its prey, and not holding go till it gets what it desires. You wouldn’t need to induce on the incorrect facet of those stunning creatures.
10. South Island motley Oystercatcher: There square measure several species of Oystercatchers, numerous that specialists notice it tough to agree on variety. The South Island motley species may be a cautious and restless creature with a shrill cry.
11. Caspian Tern: Another international bird, the Caspian larid is additionally referred to as the ‘King of Sea-Swallows’ on account of it’s terribly giant size.
12. Shining Cuckoo: this beautiful very little bird is concerning the scale of a sparrow associate degreed gets its name from having an iridescent coat that shines blue within the light-weight.
13. Morepork: You wouldn’t expect it, however these tiny owls that lurk within the trees square measure carnivorous creatures, typically feeding on animals larger than themselves.
14. coraciiform bird: The noun for a bunch of Kingfisher birds may be a “concentration,” maybe touching on its broad and steady build, robust enough to require down tiny mammals.
15. New island Pipit: The lark has quite drab colouring, however this can be to supply camouflage, permitting them to mix in against the forest floor.
16. overhang: though the Fantail will suffer greatly through a harsh winter, they’ve developed ways to survive, like having over one brood within the right conditions, sleeping in late to avoid the cold morning frosts, and tucking away in bushes and haystacks to stay themselves heat.
17. thrush: you'll distinguish the Song Thrush from alternative birds by listening out for its cheerful and rise tunes. Some say their musical ability in terms of rhythm, tone, harmony, and melody will contend thereupon of humans.
18. Bellbird: Another song bird, this tiny fauna makes the sound of one bell-like note, excellent to interrupt a morning slumber
19. Starling: The oscine bird gets its name from the markings on its feathers that gleam like small white stars. However, this solely happens within the summer months, lustrous within the sun.
20. Silvereye: just like the Tui and also the chatterer, the Silvereye encompasses a brush-tipped tongue for drinking nectar.
Photo source: Black Cat