#Addictions are associated with loss of control over certain behaviours which may lead to serious consequences.The inability to abstain from such behaviours/substances makes it an addiction. Putting an end to any addiction is not always easy but it's going to worth it. Millions of people all over the #world are battling with various types of addiction. Let's take a look at some of these addictions
- #Drug addiction
- Alcohol addiction
- #Pornography addiction
- Gambling addiction
- Video game addiction
- Sex addiction
- Food addiction
- Internet addiction and lots more
SIGNS OF ADDICTION
- Most people with behavioural addictions become secretive
- A person with an addiction experience mood swings
- They become restless, confused, paranoid once they are out of the substance they are addicted to.
- They are always defensive
- The ability to control such behaviours reduces drastically.
- Selling of property or stealing to afford their addiction
- Poor performance at school,work etc
- People with #gambling addiction tend to gamble more to relieve stress , thereby incurring more debt in bid to win back losses.
- They experience anxiety/depression when trying to abstain from such addictions.
- People with drug addiction might experience muscle aches, stomach cramps, sweating, headache fatigue etc
HOW DO I OVERCOME AN ADDICTION
- For one to move forward he needs to accept his past,his present and take control of his life, changing all he doesn't like about himself.
- Remind yourself that having an addiction doesn't make you a bad person hence there is nothing to be ashamed of.
- Learn to celebrate your accomplishments,no matter how little it is. An alcoholic addict who usually takes 10 -12 bottles daily, reduces his daily intake to 5 bottles. He should celebrate his little accomplishment, hoping to completely eliminate that habit.
- Seek personal and professional help. By personal help I mean you should seek the help of your friends and loved ones to help your overcome your addictions. You can also seek for professional help by visiting a therapist.
- Find out what triggers your addictions and stay off those things For example a porn #addict might find it difficult to watch or read romantic contents without having a strong urge to watch porn and masturbate. Hence he is advised to stay off such contents.
- Quitting an addiction immediately is often difficult for most people hence it is advised to reduce your indulgence gradually until you stop it(addiction) completely.
- For one to completely eradicate an addiction,he needs to keep himself occupied with a new hoppy, hang out with friends who influences him positively. He can join a club,make new friends and start a new life.
Also posted on my other blog