Curious Expedition is a rogue-like expedition simulation set in the 19th century. Throughout the exploration of gigantic uncharted territories full of danger and treasures, the players will have to prove their bravery and ingenuity facing the unknown. The story is based on a decision-making dynamic that makes the path and gaming experience of every player different.
When I was first presented with this translation task I didn't know what I was about to discover. In order to do my job as perfect as possible I first searched the project to see for myself what I was translating. For my own surprise I found out that Curious Expedition is a really interesting game that lets you control all those fantastic explorers that I have read on books; it goes from Charles Darwin to Roald Amundsen and many others.
Being an adventure writer myself I must admit that I wish I had more time to play it!
The game is available on Steam, GOG, Humble Store and at the official homepage http://curious-expedition.com.
1. Translation Overview
Day 23 on the Curious Expedition brought new strings to the translation routine, the long dialogues mixed with in-game item descriptions with variables. Also there were several strings belonging to the Curious Expedition tutorial.
For the most part, terms and phrase constructions were simple, requiring occasional searches to the game's website to check special words and descriptions. The biggest attention on today's translation were the variables, which cannot be touched.
Apart from requiring care and attention, I can say that this is a fun and entertaining project to work on.
Starting point on Main Game files (English/Portuguese)
- Mortally wounded. There is nothing left to do.
String source:https://crowdin.com/translate/the-curious-expedition/3/en-ptbr#12036, accessed on Feb. 05th at 19:12
- Mortalmente ferido. Não há mais nada a fazer.
Fonte da String:https://crowdin.com/translate/the-curious-expedition/3/en-ptbr#12036, acessado em 05 de Fevereiro às 19:12
End point on Main Game files (English/Portuguese)
- Under a light cover of snow I found their [terrifying|awesome] tusks and bones. This was a graveyard for [the legendary mammoths|the mammoths of yore|the wooly elephants of ancient times, the mammoths]. [Something had killed a whole herd here in this spot.|I discovered spear- and arrowheads made of stone between the bones, a hunt gone wrong.|Could this have been a sacred spot?|Did these animals come here to die?|Something large must have crashed here and killed the whole herd. Whatever it was, I could not find it|The bones were torn like paper, some...thing must have attacked the herd.]
String source:https://crowdin.com/translate/the-curious-expedition/3/en-ptbr#12490, accessed on Feb. 05th at 21:11
- Debaixo de um fino manto de neve, encontrei os seus [terríveis|magníficos] ossos e presas. Este era um cemitério dos [lendários mamutes|mamutes de outrora|elefantes de lã dos tempos antigos, os mamutes]. [Alguma coisa havia matado uma manada inteira aqui neste mesmo lugar.|Eu descobri uma lança e pontas-de-lança de pedra no meio dos ossos, uma caçada que deu errado.|Poderia este ter sido um local sagrado?|Será que estes animais vieram aqui para morrer?|Algo grande deve ter caído aqui e matado toda a manada. Seja lá o que foi, eu não conseguia encontrá-lo.|Os ossos foram rasgados como papel, alguma... coisa deve ter atacado a manada.]
Fonte da String:https://crowdin.com/translate/the-curious-expedition/3/en-ptbr#12490, acessado em 05 de Fevereiro às 21:11
This translation was made from English to Portuguese.
For the past two years, I worked as a basic to intermediate level English teacher at a local school, expanding greatly my knowledge of the English and Portuguese grammar/vocabulary. Now I'm a full time content creator using English as my main language.
I volunteered to translate two different projects for the brazilian community, which served as a sample for my application on the Da-Vinci/Utopian Portuguese Translation Team, where I'm currently working.
3. Word Count
- On this work I have translated a total of 1848 words over a period of 4 hours
Proof of Authorship
- CrowdIn project link: https://crowdin.com/project/the-curious-expedition
- My CrowdIn profile link: https://crowdin.com/profile/mrprofessor