If I could change one thing about Steem... better curation rewards for Plankton

in steemideas •  last year  (edited)


One thing I would change about Steemit is how hard it is for new users to get curation rewards. I am not going into the math, (not sure if I really understand it all anyway), but the biggest cuts tend to go to the biggest upvotes.

Imagine two people in the desert (of good content :-) looking for water. One has a thimble, the other has a bucket. With the current curation system, even if the guy with the thimble finds the oasis first and fills his thimble, the bucket guy can show up, fill up his bucket, and also pour the thimble of water in his own bucket. When Plankton and new accounts find great content, and they are the first to upvote it, even at a perfect 30 minutes, they are overpowered by larger upvotes, and get a lot of 0.001 rewards.

So here is my proposal. Plankton don't mind voting 100%, but whales do this rarely. Currently 75% of rewards go to the author, and 25% go to the curators. Suppose 2% of the curation reward was carved out and given to the first upvote when the post is 5 minutes old, at 80% or more Steem power. The author would still get 75%, and the current curation system would apply to 23%, but the 2% would be a sort of "finders reward". Smaller accounts could do this often, but whales not as much because there is more money at stake. I think this would change Steemit for the better overnight. What Do you think @jesta, @gtg, @aggroed, @surpassinggoogle, @themarkymark, @therealwolf, @good-karma, @jerrybanfield, @curie ?

This is an entry in a contest by @Conradt
Read the other entries here. https://steemit.com/steembasicincome/@conradt/5-steem-basic-income-shares-giveaway-what-would-you-change-about-steem

Image from Pixabay https://pixabay.com/en/trouser-pockets-empty-jeans-1439412/

Authors get paid when people like you upvote their post.
If you enjoyed what you read here, create your account today and start earning FREE STEEM!
Sort Order:  

In the meantime, you can join a curation trail - especially one designed for small SP holder like the dynamicsteemians have.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check that out.

here is an invite to the discord and the info is there

Thank you, but the invite didn't work, is it me?

Don't know. I got it from the channel... Are you on discord already? If yes, what is your discord name and I try it a different way...

thanks, my discord name is also giddyupngo

Arghh - I need to be friends with you to invite you and when I tried to send a friend request, it sayed I needed your 4 numbers. mine is mariannewest#6102

Send me a request please...

This is a very good point actually, it's quite bad that there is a lower limit to what curation reward actually pays out.

That is part of it, but primarily it is that larger upvotes retroactively take more of the reward. Plankton usually don't benefit from curating content.

True, the large votes do dominate the curation pool, I guess that is more important than the lower limit on SP payout for curation. I know that 99.9% of all votes I cast got 0 curation when my account was starting out, even now it's somewhat rare to get decent curation vs all votes cast if there are other larger voters.

Absolutely, that is my experience too. You really have to start buying Steem, not sure how else you could do it.

Congratulations @giddyupngo! You have completed some achievement on Steemit and have been rewarded with new badge(s) :

Award for the number of upvotes

Click on any badge to view your own Board of Honor on SteemitBoard.

To support your work, I also upvoted your post!
For more information about SteemitBoard, click here

If you no longer want to receive notifications, reply to this comment with the word STOP

Upvote this notification to help all Steemit users. Learn why here!

I would love for this to change aswell but I think that the whales would kick up a big stink about it...

I thought of a specific proposal and updated my post, maybe they will respond to my tags. Thanks for reading it.

I don't know much about the math in all of this but if only rewards will be divided equally.

I thought of a proposal that might achieve this end, see the updated post above.

Ideas are so welcome in this area, but the idea of the curation reward in the first place is to reward finders fees. the curation payment is not a flat 25% and can vary depending on when you voted for the posts and the votes given both before and after.

Thanks for the comment Paula. It is true that the percentage given to curators does vary, but the 2% could be reserved for a single vote that meets the criteria, and the remaining 98% could fluctuate between author and curation as it did before. My point is that beginning steemians have little hope of earning even 0.01 SBD, and with my proposal they would have a chance to earn much more.