Logo by @cass
@steemcleaners is combining Tag Spam & High Frequency posting into one guide for the simple reason that High-Frequency Posting isn’t “abuse” unless it is combined with “Tag Spam” or “Spamming inTags”.
Why Tags Are Important
The current UI of steemit.com uses Tags for navigation. This allows contributors to select up to 5 relevant tags for each of their posts.
Why is “Tag Spam” or “Spamming in Tags” Bad
These two concepts are closely related.
Tag Spam = Using irrelevant tags, especially popular tags.
Spamming in Tags = Posting irrelevant or relevant, no (or low) value content to tags with High Frequency. (See Recently: Sports Stream Spam)
Both have the potential to render our current system of navigation useless if Tags are frequently abused.
There are tags that are almost impossible to “spam” unless of course, the contributor is a high-frequency poster. For instance life & blog.
- blog - Well, this is loosely termed a blogging platform by community members. If you're posting… Your blogging…
- life - Even in fiction, most topics posted can find some loose relation to life, even death as was pointed out to us yesterday.
There are tags such as art that can cover a wide range of subjects.
- art - one man's junk is another man's treasure. Depending on an individual's point of view any or all creative works could be considered art.
There are also tags that have unclear connotations.
- steemit - We would like to see this tag be reserved for posts that are relevant to the website steemit.com, or the company Steemit Inc. Unfortunately, some argue that “being on steemit.com means the tag is relevant”.
- steem - Similar to above except there is a large difference from steem to steemit. Steem actually refers to the underlying cryptocurrency and blockchain, and actually, has nothing to do with the website.
Artistic Content Tags
Many members of the Steemit Community value original artistic content.
photography: the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (as film or an optical sensor) source
art: works created by artists : paintings, sculptures, etc., that are created to be beautiful or to express important ideas or feelings source
poetry: the writings of a poet : poems source
We hope the community can refrain from posting “shared” content in these categories unless the post includes relative original content.
- Shared images or videos of creative works with your detailed discussion of the artist or the artist's techniques.
- Shared images or videos with your detailed instructional or “how to”
- Shared poetry with your detailed analysis or discussion
High Frequency posters
- As a courtesy @steemcleaners will leave a comment to let contributors know their rewards could be drastically reduced.
- High-Frequency Posts that consist of spam (no value content) could receive a comment or a flag.
- High-Frequency Posts that also abuse Tags will be flagged, especially if it makes the Tag unusable for navigation.
- Contributors using irrelevant tags will receive a comment.
- Contributors posting “shared” content in artistic tags could receive a comment by @steemcleaners.
- Flags for Tag Spam are reserved for repeated non-subjective abuse. (Sorry, dogs are not cats. Repeatedly insisting they are through the use of tags will result in flagging!)
To Err is Human
We are all aware there are some bad apples that sign up for steemit and see easy money. They consistently post “spam” in the form of copypasta, plagiarism, affiliate spam, etc.
There are some great community members here that may on occasion make a mistake. Many times that mistake can be rectified on steemit.chat. Sometimes attempts in contacting a community member fails and a comment is left by a member of the team.
A comment and/or flag left by a member of @steemcleaners is NOT a call for a downvoting brigade. Most of the time, @steemcleaners doesn’t even flag; we try to guide the community in the right direction first and foremost.
Ask @steemcleaners - Future Q&A Posts
@steemcleaners will be doing a semi-regular post titled “Ask @steemcleaners” in the future. If you a question that you feel we haven’t addressed on Tag Spam & High-Frequency posting please post it in the comments. Questions asked may be included in a future “Ask @steemcleaners” posts.