The Splinterlands team is excited to announce our second public game jam!!!
The game jam is hosted on itch.io and you can start building immediately.
The game deadline is May 19th.
The game jam page is here: https://itch.io/jam/splinterlandsio-game-jam-1000-prize-pool
What's a game jam?
A game jam is a competition for developers to make mini-games. In this case, we want them to be Splinterlands themed.
What is Splinterlands?
Splinterlands is a blockchain trading card game. We're primarily based on the Steem blockchain, but we're starting to branch out by incorporating Tron as a first step. If you're not familiar with blockchain technology in our case we're using it basically like a big public open source database. The items and units we create for our games live on a public database and can be traded back and forth for various currencies.
What is Steem?
Steem is a blockchain that's great for apps to be built on top of it. The main blockchain people know is bitcoin and all the others are generally considered "altcoins." Steem is usually ranked in the top 50 altcoins by marketcap. Splinterlands is built on top of Steem and uses the Steem Blockchain as a big public database with lots of nodes that verify the data on it.
The Steem blockchain is particularly well suited for building games on it because:
It has 3 second block times so transactions are cleared quickly.
It's a freemium blockchain. It doesn't cost anything to transact, you are bandwidth limited, but by staking more money here you can increase your bandwidth.
There's a community of gamers already present and already familiar with cryptocurrencies.
What's up for grabs?
The prize pool is 1000 Steem, 100 beta booster packs for Splinterlands, and a gold foil legendary summoner currently worth ~$500. That's a total prize pool worth ~$1100!
The rules are pretty broad and open. You're welcome to use assets that you've already put together (though previously winning games are excluded in this). We also have a number of items we've already created ourselves that you're free to use and include.
Contest entries can include short works of fiction as well as games of all sorts.
By May 19th just before midnight the game has to be hosted at itch.io for it to be reviewed.
You'll have until the exact deadline. Anyone who submits a game after the deadline is explicitly excluded from winning prizes (don't be that dude!)
Pre-existing game assets you're free to use under our copyright license (see below)
Splinterlands is happy for you to keep your copyright and use our artwork and materials in what you produce on some minimal conditions.
- You don't compete with us directly on any type of card sale.
- You don't make them purposefully spew hate speech in a way that glorifies hate speech (the bad guy can be bad and say and do terrible things, but you can't glorify their badness)
- You brand your game "Splinterlands+"" unless you actually license it with us for 10% of revenue.
- You keep it safe for work
- You cite that the material is owned and open-sourced by Splinterlands.io
- Yes, assuming you don't break the above 5 rules, you're welcome to use our stuff to sell things commercially for your benefit without asking permission. If you want our help to promote the game and want to call it Splinterlands without the plus sign contact us and be prepared to hand over 10% of revenue.
We're assessing the game on:
Inclusion of Splinterlands assets
How fun the game is
Does the game have at least some portion that's fully functional
Special bonus consideration:
Tie aspects of the game to Steem using pretty standard APIs many of the Steem Devs can help with.
A way that the game can use Splinterlands cards as payment
The game checks ownership of cards before a player is allowed to use that specific card (if you don't have a Roc you can't play the Roc in game).
You issue a token on the steem-engine.com platform and players receive tokens when they do specific things.
Dev resource for the Steem blockchain/database
Steem Monsters //
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/transactions/history?limit=100 Get latest transactions
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/transactions/lookup?trx_id=ecfd4f341d7b5723354792a9f4d4ac33f54b1a34 Transaction lookup by ID
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/cards/collection/account_name Collection lookup by account name
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/cards/find?ids=card_id1,card_id2 Specific card lookup
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/cards/get_details Card details and stats
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/cards/stats Number of each type of card in circulation
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/market/for_sale_grouped Market info for each type of card
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/market/for_sale_by_card?card_detail_id=1&gold=false&edition=1 Market listings for a specific type of card
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/market/status?id=ee128fb565014d3570871967dc8533b872e2e19e-0 Status of a specific market listing
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/purchases/status?id=P-2H7MGOOU74 Status of a specific purchase
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/settings General settings and configuration for the game
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/battle/history?player=%24top Top battles list
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/battle/history?player=account_name Player battles list
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/battle/status?id=3620f6bbccdf0496ab5e97a82d79b86462985950 Status of a specific battle
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/battle/result?id=b35050b798f32fc5ac9cc0f00dae34484e52f42b Results of a specific battle
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/purchases/stats Number of card packs sold / remaining
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/players/referrals?username=account_name List of referrals by account name
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/players/login?name=account_name Receive an encrypted access token for a player to make authenticated API calls
- https://api.steemmonsters.io/players/details?name=account_name Player information
PS. Do you have a game that you have built which allows users to collect various resources? This could be a good fit for porting over as well. Message aggroed in Discord and let's see if there's a way to get your game on Steem. Various games that started on steem made $20,000 in their first week. Yours could be next.
Thank you for your continued support!
Steem Monsters Contact Info: