Few days ago, we learnt about the need to commune with God. In this blog, we shall be looking into the environment which allows for this is quiet time.
What is Quiet time or alone with God?
- A quiet time in this contest is a time we set apart to be alone with God;
- It is a time we consciously create to commune (fellowship) with God;
- It is a time during which we study and meditate on God’s word and have Him speak to our heart;
- It is a time of prayer where we do not just do the talking, but we be conscious that He also needs our attention
- Alone with God is a deliberate act of turning aside, and leaving all behind all sources of distractions and going out into a quiet and solitary place with the aim of communing with God.
We however have to state clearly that our quiet time is not the time for our family devotion, it means a time for YOU and GOD. Let’s read Mark 1: 35.
Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
Mark 6: 45-46:
Immediately Jesus made his disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd. After leaving them, he went up on a mountainside to pray.
It is clear from the scripture that Jesus often went to a mountain alone to pray. He would also go to a solitary place to commune alone with God. On such occasions, He would send the multitudes and even His disciples’ away in order to have such a time with God.
Christ left us these examples that we should follow. We have to study His attitude in order to succeed in the Christian race. If Jesus had to leave His disciples and the crowd to a solitary place, what about you and me?
Distraction will never leave you as you pate them.
Finding time to be with the Lord alone is meant to afford us a close relationship with God which would help us be like Him. Just as one cannot really know or be like his earthly father except he lives with him and have daily personal and close contact with him.
Having been born again, God is your Father, and you have become His child, there is need for you to have regular and close times with Him.
The new birth experience is quite fundamental for anyone to have a fruitful and effective quite time with God. And every child of God essentially needs to have this personal and quiet time alone with God.
You can never be able to know God (though you may know about God), or have a close fellowship with God except you are born again. There is no fellowship between light and darkness.
A Call to Action
In Romans 10: 9 -10, the scripture points to action that can be taken to unravel this mystery and enjoy this newness of life.
- By believing in our heart that God raised Jesus Christ from death makes us right with God;
- By only confessing Jesus as our Lord saves you from all our sins.