@jen0revision is starting 6th form which is the last two years of secondary education - hasn’t time flown ! We did a bit of ‘uniform’ shopping yesterday morning. Although she was pleased she didn’t need the white shirts, the ‘pinstripe’ offering above with fashion statement included would definitely not be allowed at school (apparently).
I inspected it and checked whether or not I could take the ribbon strip off.
That's the inside of the sleeve; it had ‘nearly perfect’ sewn lines along the strip (to pick).
I could just make out the sewn line on the right side. This meant that the strip wasn’t glued and could therefore be taken off; that's why we bought the shirt.
The photos above show what I could see at the shoulder seam. This was part of the decision process : how much to interfere with an otherwise perfect shirt. The main tool for the process was the seam ripper and a sharp pair of scissors, needle and matching thread.
Closest to the red bits of colour is the overlocked (serged) seam (number 1). That's the top end of the ribbon and I decided to leave it alone. I unpicked the the second line of stitching which was the width of the ribbon strip (number 2). The other sewn lines of stitching also got picked as you will see below.
I followed the same process for both sleeve shoulders and for the cuffs. There was a slight variation with the cuff though which is shown in photo 2 below.
1 - I made sure I knew exactly where to unpick and did so very carefully as I didn’t want accidental snips with the very sharp seam ripper.
2 - The cuff had top stitching. This is actually barely visible, but again I was careful to only unpick up to the end of the ribbon strip. I noticed that once unpicked it was loosely sewn in so I carefully pulled that and ‘released’ it (see number 4).
3 - Once the ribbon strip was completely unpicked along the length of the sleeve and at the cuff. I had the shoulder seam to contend with. I had the option to just cut it off there, but as described before I decided to unpick the shoulder seam (not the neatened edge).
4 - This shows the moment I cut the ribbon strip from the cuff topstitched seam.
5 - For the shoulders I cut it in between the seam and that neatened edge. It was a bit tense, but it worked.
6 - I then finished that off by hand because my sewing machine is still a bit jammed and I didn’t want to risk all that effort.
It does not show :D
That’s the finished work. If you look closely you can just see the line of unpicked stitching but I am confident that it will disappear after washing.
As for the ribbon left, I already know what I'm going to be using it for - watch this space...
Thank you for reading !
all photos by @cryptocariad