Willingdon Island is the biggest Artificial Island in India, which shapes some portion of the city of Kochi, India.
A great part of the present Willingdon Island was guaranteed from the Lake of Kochi, filling in dug soil around a formerly existing, however little, characteristic island.
Willingdon Island is huge as the home for the Port of Kochi, and also the Kochi Naval Base (the Southern Naval Command) of the Indian Navy, Custom House Cochin and Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, a constituent unit of Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
The island is additionally home for different foundations related with the port, to be specific, the Office of the Cochin Port Trust (that controls the Port of Kochi), the Customs Office, and in excess of two dozen fare import workplaces, stockrooms, a couple of lodgings and business focuses.
Image Source :::http://www.touristlocation.com/willingdon-island/
Developing another port in Kochi was first felt by Sir Robert Bristow, who was selected by Lord Willingdon, at that point the Governor of Madras Presidency, to make another advanced port on the West shore of India at Kochi.
The Island was made amid the development of current port in 1936, with the dirt dug out while extending the Vembanad Lake to oblige the new port. It was named after The first Earl of Willingdon, the Viceroy of India at the time, who authorized the project. Robert Bristow, the central hero and specialist for the task, possessed the main expanding on the Island.
The principal liner, which had a place with the Bibby Line, touched base at the island on 9 March 1935. A port inn, called Malabar Hotel, was worked for travelers who wished to lay on the island.
All the pre-arranged fundamental port structure was finished in 1939, in the nick of time for the Second World War. A profound wharf, a rail connect and a street scaffold to the territory gave important foundation to the nearby war effort. A maritime works was likewise developed on the adjoining Venduruthy Island toward the south, where, before the finish of the war, they were hectically building landing create for the assumed intrusion of Japan. In 1940 a traveler pier and traditions house were manufactured abutting the inn, together with a traveler stage and rail siding.