Federal Cedar - First Salty of the Season Travels the St. Clair - Shipspotting
I have a bunch of captures to share with you from the weekend... maybe I'll do another shipspotting post tomorrow.
But today, I wanted to celebrate the first salty ship of the season to sail up the St. Clair - on her way to Sault Ste Marie. This is the Federal Cedar, a 656-foot bulk carrier operated by Federal Navigation. Built in 2016 in Oshima, Japan, she carries 41,000 tons of cargo (often grain) and has a top speed of 14 knots (around 16 mph).
(Video from Federal Cedar passing Montreal, Quebec, on her way up the St. Lawrence Seaway.)
First, she passed through Boatnerd's Detroit camera...
About three hours later, she passed the Algonac, Michigan, camera, where she met Mesabi Miner (who is 1000 feet long.)
Shortly after she left the Algonac camera, she was on the Marine City, Michigan, camera.
Super ships captured her as well.
From Marine City, it's about two hours to the Port Huron, Michigan cameras. At this point, she was closely following Canadian Steamship Lines' ship CSL Assiniboine.
I started with the Streamtime cameras since the position is usually better, but sometimes the cameras don't focus where I want them to and they missed this awesome twofer with CSL Assiniboine - a great picture, but it could have been awesome.
Switching back to a Boatnerd camera, I captured the feature photo (at top) and then noticed this crew person on the rigging... What a great place as long as you don't have acrophobia or vertigo!
A final glimpse from Boatnerd's camera as CSL Assiniboine goes under the bridge at Port Huron and Federal Cedar follows.
As you can see below (Detroit camera), most of the Federal Navigation ships sail under the Marshall Islands flag.
Have a safe voyage to Sault Ste Marie!
Crossposted on Steem and Hive.
Today's images are from:
Boatnerd - Port Huron, Michigan
Boatnerd - Detroit, Michigan
StreamTime Live - Port Huron, Michigan
StreamTime Live - Marine City, Michigan
StreamTime Live - Algonac, Michigan
The sharing of the pictures/cameras is encouraged for the education and enjoyment of all. Please take a look at these cameras on YouTube.
Note: Boatnerd also hosts shipping news, huge amounts of data about almost any "laker" and even many of the "saltie" visitors - and even a book called "Know Your Ships". I would encourage supporting his great work, especially as he has plans to add more cameras in 2021.
If you want to be tagged in future shipspotting posts, please let me know and I'll add you to this list.
(I can also remove you if you wish.)
Past Shipspotting Posts
- Watching the Ships in Duluth, Minnesota
- Watching the Ships at Port Huron, Michigan
- Trains and Ships on the Mississippi, Fort Madison, Iowa
- Year's End Shipping in Duluth - Dec 31, 2020 - featuring Algoma Guardian, American Spirit, Baie Comeau, Great Republic and Stewart J Cort.
- Persistence Pays Off - Feb 11, 2021 - featuring Morro Bay, Samuel Risley, Griffon and Algosea.
- The Buddy System - Feb 14, 2021 - featuring Griffon, Hollyhock, Algosea, Morro Bay, Algocanada and Iver Bright.
- Downbound Progression - Feb 18, 2021 - featuring Samuel Risley and Algosea
- Upbound Parade - Feb 18, 2021 - featuring Samuel Risley, Algonova, Leo A McArthur and Katmai Bay.
- A Day on the St. Clair - Feb 25, 2021 - featuring Katmai Bay, Samuel Risley, Algonova and Pride.
- Threefer in Marine City - Feb 26, 2021 - featuring Katmai Bay, Samuel Risley and Algoterra
- 2021 Shipping Season Begins - Mar 1, 2021 - featuring Manitoulin
- Spring Has Come - Mar 21, 2021 - featuring Griffon
- Today's Shipping on the St. Clair - March 22, 2021 - featuring Algonova, Baie Comeau, Iver Bright, Indiana Harbor and Sharon M/Huron Spirit
- U-Turn in the St. Clair - Mar 25, 2021 - featuring Algoma Hansa
- Algoma Enterprise Farewell post - Jan 5, 2021 - featuring Algoma Enterprise, Algoma Niagara and Joyce van Enkevort - Jan 5, 2021
- Alpena, the Oldest Ship on the Lakes - March 8, 2021
- Iver Bright - Asphalt and Bitumen Tanker - March 5, 2021
- Katmai Bay - USCGC 101
- Mississagi's Final Voyage - Jan 5, 2021
Freewrites that include ship pictures...
- Winter, Writing and Winging It - featuring Drawsko and Federal Oshima.
- American Steamship Company - American Integrity,
- Canada Steamship Lines - Frontenac, Rt Hon Paul J Martin,
- Interlake - James R Barker, Kaye E Barker,
- Canadian - Samuel Risley
- BBC - BBC Swift
Two or more ships -
- Burns Harbor & Stewart J Cort,
- Jamna, Sinaa, Torrent and Federal Dart,
- USCG Biscayne Bay - 104, CCG Samuel Risley, Michigan w/ Great Lakes and USCG Morro Bay - 106
No Ships... (on these ship cameras)
This category is for when the camera operator finds something else fun to focus on, like the peregrines around Port Huron or the beautiful sunrise over Lake Superior as viewed from the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge.
author/designer at A'mara Books
photographer/graphic artist for Viking Visual
(Buy my work at RedBubble, TeePublic, PicFair and DeviantArt.)
verified author on Goodreads
(Buy my books at Books2Read and at LBRY)