To begin with, I don't think most people even know that India is a major player in the prawn(Also known as shrimp) farming industry, more so in the export of it. Thus let me give a little preview.
INDIA exports prawns to countries like:
- Parts of Europe
Not in small quantities by any means. The prawn farming is more than100 MILLION DOLLAR industry in India.
PRAWN FARMING IN INDIA!!
A state named Gujarat has about 900 Kms of coastline making it literally a heaven for prawn farmers, however regulation states that only 0.5% can be used.
There's two types of prawns farming
- Soft Water Farming
- Brackish Water Farming
Soft water doesn't need much explanation, the name is pretty self explanatory.
Brackish water is basically MIXED WATER - SOFT + HARD WATER. Sea is the best source of it thus making the coastline of Gujarat a heaven for brackish water prawn farming activities. The quality, weight and size of the prawns depend on salinity of the water.
However, here are the 5 things that you might not know.
- Gujarat has one of the largest under-use area for prawn ponds.
- Prawn Farms in Olpad area of gujarat were certified best in the country by European authorities.
- Biggest and heaviest prawns are born in brackish water with about 40% saline water.
- The biggest hub of prawn farms is situated in a pre-dominantly NON-VEGETARIAN state.
- The profit margin is approximately about 400% and so is the risk.