Masala idli is a simple and easy snack. This is one of my favorite ways to serve masala idli. Stir-frying with onion n tomato makes it a very delecious dish and healthy too.
Ingredients (4 servings)
Idli Rava – 2 cups
Urad dal – 1 cups
Methi Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds (Rai) – ½ tsp
Curry Leaves – 10-12
Green Chillies – 2 (each cut length wise into four)
Onion – 2 (chopped)
Tomato – 2 (chopped)
Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
Salt – to taste
Lemon Juice -1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Soak dal, methi seeds in plain water for 5-6 hrs.
- Soak Idli Rava in lukewarm water for 2 hrs.
- Make a fine paste of Urad dal & keep aside.
- Drain water from the rava & wash with plain water. 5. Strain the rava and add it to the urad dal paste. Add Salt to it & mix well.
- Leave OVERNIGHT in a warm place for fermentation. The paste should be of medium consistency to make soft Idlis.
- Steam the batter in Idli stand for 5 minutes on high flame and then 5-6 minutes on low flame.
- Let it cool for 2-3 minutes before removing idli from the stand. They should come out easily now.
9.Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds. When the seeds starts crackling, add the curry leaves, chillies. Stir for a few seconds.
- Now add onion, fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, fry again for 2-3 minutes. Now add the idli, salt, black pepper, lemon juice and gently stir fry them together for 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves. Masala idli is ready to be served.