I made a delicious cake yesterday that I thought I would share with you all. For me non-chocolate and non-mud cakes are where it's at in the cake world. I can't do overly rich chocolate recipes anymore. Here is where I have landed in terms of my cake preference:
- 2 cups of plain flour.
- 4 eggs.
- 200g of butter.
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar.
- 2 teaspoons baking soda.
- 2teaspoons ground cinnamon.
- 2 1/2 cups of grated carrot.
- 1 cup of walnuts.
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Desired quantity of fresh ginger, roughly chopped.
Cream cheese frosting:
- 250g of Philadelphia cream cheese.
- 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar.
- 1/2 cup of whipped cream.
- Walnuts, finely chopped to garnish on top.
- Extra ginger, roughly chopped to garnish on top.
- Take a mixing bowl and sift in the flour, baking soda, eggs, cinnamon.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then add in the sugar and the vanilla and whisk until it is mixed. Allow the mixture to cool and then whisk in the eggs.
- Combine the wet mix with the dry mix in the mixing bowl and stir gently until a uniform batter is formed.
- Chop the ginger and grate the carrots and then add to the batter and stir until it is mixed well.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured cake tin. I'm using a standard loaf tin here with this recipe. Place into a preheated oven at 170C. Bake for 40 mins.
- Take the cake out of the oven once baked and cool for 10 mins.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting.
- Take a mixing bowl and beat the cream cheese until it softens to a creamy texture. Add icing sugar and beat again until light and fluffy.
- Once the cake is cool, cover with the frosting. Chop walnuts and ginger and sprinkle over the top.
Here are the results:
Quick shot of the cross-section before I bagged it up:
Thanks for reading.
~La Dolce Firma~