Well, after several days of unpredictable weather getting in my way, I finally got around to finishing the new fire pit. I left off with an almost-complete second row of blocks:
23 more blocks (the greatest number I can fit in the trunk of my car) resulted in this:
I got two more blocks, but used only one. Unfortunately, I had to take the whole thing apart and put it back together to fix the settling problems, but that's almost not worth mentioning.
This is the result of all the blocks in place, prior to the final adjustment. Note the gap in between two of the blocks:
After final adjustments, the structure is completely stable and ready to burn:
If it doesn't look round, that's because it isn't. It's actually a trichoid, which is a three-lobed shape, and a common roundness problem in machining. I decided to not mess with it anymore for two reasons: first, it's a bloody fire pit, and second, I think trichoids are cool.
Weather permitting, tomorrow this thing will finally get put to use, and that hideous pile of brush and branches from a dead, slowly disintegrating pine tree will disappear. I will make a slide show of the construction project and combine it with some video clips to make a nice video to put on BitChute. Seven hells, am I lame.