You are viewing a single comment's thread from:

RE: Discussion - Towards the Future: Creating a better World We All Want to Live In

in #discussion7 years ago

Indeed they might! I know at least 3-4 20-somethings here in our town who are essentially "homeless" in the sense that they carry their entire worldly possessions in their backpack and basically "couch surf" and travel the world. But they are not exactly indigents-- more like deliberate nomads. "Work" consists of a laptop and a wifi connection.

Which segues into your next point and your post... the Steemit experiment; we have several people in the community who are global nomads by choice ( @budgetbucketlist is perhaps the most visible) and perhaps that is part of the new paradigm, too. I remember around 2000-ish (as the Internet started to come of age) thinking of a world in which people could travel through a series of "co-op houses" around the world and just work from their computers. You make an initial "buy in" after which you can show up at any "member" house on the planet and get a place to sleep and a web connection for a nominal fee ($10 a night?), along with a "hub" that could hook you up with local temporary work, should you need it. Each "unit" would be autonomous ("decentralized") while also being part of a central common network.

But I digress... healthcare, and UBI. Your post predates my being here, so hadn't seen it before. UBI is intriguing... people pose the question "how will it be paid for?" Certainly one starting point is the savings realized by NOT having to pay a robot to do the human's work it replaces. But certainly there are some moral/ethical issues there.

Health insurance is a slippery beast, as is socialized medicine. Being Danish by birth, I grew up with it, so my perspective is different... health care (at least for primary services) fits in the same social space as fire and police services. I don't want to have to think about "can I afford to pay the firefighters" when there are flames shooting out of my bedroom window... from a more capitalistic perspective, a healthy workforce costs less money to support so having a system of socialized medicine that's heavily oriented towards prevention is actually an investment in society.

The notion of creating a voluntary based token specifically geared towards health services is intriguing... sounds almost like a "health savings account on the blockchain."

Sort:  

Great thoughts, as always. I like the idea of hostels on the blockchain, fully decentralized. Cool idea.

Coin Marketplace

STEEM 0.19
TRX 0.16
JST 0.030
BTC 65557.91
ETH 2645.17
USDT 1.00
SBD 2.86