Masala dosa, a crispy thin savoury crepe made of fermented lentils and rice batter and filled with flavourful potato filling is easily one of the favourite foods of South Indians. This popular dish has been listed as the 'Top 10 foods to try before you die', according to a list compiled by the Huffington Post. So give it a try and see if this dish tingles your taste buds. :)
- For the dosa batter:
- 1-1/2 cups Raw rice
- 1/2 cup Urad dal (black lentil)
- Water as needed
- Salt to taste
- For the potato filling:
- 3 large Potatoes (boiled)
- 1 medium Onion (sliced)
- 1 – 2 Green chilies (slit)
- 1/2 " Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 2 tsp Chana dal (split black chickpeas)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Wash and soak the raw rice and urad dal in two separate bowls for a minimum of 4 hours. Strain the water and grind the urad dal in food processor with a little water till it reaches a pancake batter consistency. Grind the soaked raw rice the same way.
- Add salt and mix the two ground mixture together with your hands. Cover the batter and set it aside to ferment for atleast 8 hours or over night. Make sure not to refrigerate.
- Wash the potatoes and pressure cook it with half a cup of water for 3 whistles. Once it has cooled down, peel it and lightly mash it.
- Heat a pan (medium heat) and add oil/ghee, then add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Now add urad dal, channa dal & curry leaves, and saute for a minute.
- Add in the onions and green chillies and saute for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle turmeric powder and stir for a few seconds. Add water, salt and mashed potatoes and mix everything together. Fry for 4-5 minutes and its done.
- Heat a greased skillet, pour a ladle full of the prepared dosa batter onto the skillet. Starting from the centre, spread the batter in a circular shape making sure the edges are not too thick.
Sprinkle some oil/ ghee, when its cooked(it should turn light golden brown in colour) place the potato filling on the centre of the dosa. Lightly lift the edges of the dosa and begin to fold and wrap the filling. Remove from the skillet and serve hot with chutney or sambar. Enjoy!