Not sure if I should call this a WIP, because honestly I may never get around to finishing this - so might as well give it a moment of glory :) I planned to scan this in and add a background in PhotoShop and do some digital painting to make it glow more from the inside and better define the external light source in the picture. But since then I have started several other art / craft projects, as is my wont. This may be all she wrote for the Alien Blobmonster.
My kids were painting with watercolor last week when I decided to do an ink and watercolor thing along with them. I had the inspiration of a creature that combined some crab-like / exoskeleton features with a translucent amoeba/ooze like body that would encase and surround the exoskeletal features.
I didn't think to take any process pics until after I had already finished the initial ink sketch and had started painting the exoskeleton portion. I wasn't using actual watercolor paper obviously and water was pooling up and running around.
I wanted to just do a very light gray/blue coat of paint on the sections that would end up inside the translucent blob body, and more vibrant colors on the exposed pincer arms. Here is where I got to with the watercolors before setting it aside to dry overnight:
The next morning I decided to tackle the rest of this piece with markers given that, you know, I wasn't using watercolor paper LOL. I started with pink, orange, yellow and green highlighters to add very light translucent color:
Once I had gotten a good glowing orangish base by layering a couple different colors of orange highlighter over the pink highlighter, I started using regular markers to add shadows and depth of color in places. I also started adding in some greens and purples with marker over the watercolor on the pincer arms as well:
Here is where I stopped working and decided I would finish it up digitally (famous last words):
I think I may have gone too far with the markers by the time I stopped. I actually like how it looked a little earlier when more of the lightness of the highlighters showed through. The post cover image is about when I should have stopped I think :)