I had a great time in church today and I learnt quite a bit about visionary leadership. Leadership is more about vision and responsibility that it is about power. Vision is the fuel leaders run on. You are a leader once your life and lifestyle can influence another. Your position does not matter, you can be a leader in the background. Leadership happens at different levels for example; Parents have influence over the children just as their children also have influence over the parents. Below are certain characteristics that set visionary leaders clearly apart from positional leaders;
- They have unusual discernment; they often see what others don't see.
- They foresee the big picture of the future and make plans for it.
- They see possibilities and have a clear mental image of their destination i.e. Walt Disney.
- They are focused people.
- They are problem solvers and they see problems as opportunities for growth i.e.
Michael Faraday solved the problem of electricity.
- They don't publicize themselves, the problems they solve announces them.
- They are authentic not cosmetic, putting their money where their mouth is. They are real and original.
- They affirm their people especially because they are not insecure.
- They are particular about empowering people.
- They acknowledge people's gifts and talents .
All these has got me thinking; what kind of leader am I?